Dummy text

History of the club

The ‘Literary & Scientific Institute’ founded in 1868 by Benjamin Lewis Rice Esq., (Hon. Secretary 1868-1887) Chief Instructor of Education on Museum Road, Bangalore was later converted by himself and renamed ‘Bowring Institute’ in 1888, the foundation stone having been laid by Lady Prendergast, the wife of the Resident, at its present location on St. Mark’s Road, Bengaluru to perpetuate the name Lewin Bentham Bowring Esq. the then Chief Commissioner of this Province and the first President of this former Literary & Scientific Institute.*

In 1887, the Managing Committee recorded its pleasure in informing the General Body of Members that its persistent endeavours to obtain a suitable site for the erection of the Institute’s Main Building have been crowned with success by Major General Rowlands, commanding the Mysore Division having kindly granted a portion of land (approx. 12 Acres) in St. Marks Square and where the Station Municipality also concurred. The present Main Building was constructed in the year 1888 for the sum of approx. Rs. 23,000 without furnishings.

In 1892 the first Billiards Table was purchased and the Grand Piano (C.Bechstein) was acquired in 1893. The Year 1903 not only witnessed the electrification of the Institute but also the Cards Room was inaugurated. The Institute also inherited the Residency Library with one of the first editions of Encyclopaedia Britannica together with various priceless books which have been preserved to date and where we can proudly state that we have the finest Library of any Institution in the City.

Mr. Subramaniam was elected as the first Indian President in 1961 and Bowring Institute has grown to be recognised as one of the leading Institutes in the City.

Davis Cup Tennis was held on its finest Clay Courts patronised by greats namely Roy Emerson, Bobby Howe, Ramanathan Krishnan, Premjitlal, Jaydeep Mukherjee and others. Various Dances including both ethnic (Bharathanatyam) and European (May Queen Ball) were conducted in the Main Hall including Jam Sessions. Bowring Institute boasted of having its own Resident Band (Bruce Gabriel), who was also the Music Teacher at Bishop Cotton Boys’ School. The Badminton Courts were constructed in 1965. Our First Patron was His Highness Sardar Chikka Krishnaraj Urs and succeeded by His Highness Sri Chamaraja Wadiyar. The present Patron is His Excellency the Governor of Karnataka and the Vice Patrons are the Honourable Chief Minister of Karnataka, the Worshipful Mayor of Bengaluru City and the Constituency MP & MLA.*

* For further details please refer the website.